Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Self improvement is like masturbation...


Hey

This did not just occur to me... I would let you guess the place where this idea came in my mind for now...

There is no dearth of self help books around... a look at any bookstore would confirm this... the reason I guess people read these books is to avoid making some mistakes that they have seen others make or to make themself believe in somthing that they are supposed to believe in.... maybe even avoid making some mistake again... these suppositions are the real reason also for the amazing number of bad tv shows on air... believe me, I have seen my share of them....

These books tell us how it will help us be a better person, whatever that is.!!! but heres the thing,.. if you wanted to be that person you will not need a book telling you some shitty 10 steps to get to that place... all it would take is a moment of realization to go that path... not some fucking guide from some freaking hitchiker or whatever.... if its in your head, you are probably half way to being that person already...

The point is how can some idiot writer with no iota of talent to write an actual book or self respect (how can he!!! after writing such a book) tell who he/she never knows and never will in all probablity as to how to improve youself or improve your self esteem or the other billion things they want to tell you how you should do... no amount of steps will get you where you want to be unless you know you want to be there...

People masturbate because they either are looking for the convenient way out or can't get any... I think its the same way with self improvement books... either they are looking for the convenient way out for some idiot writer to tell them how they should be living their life, what they should be doing and who they should be... or because they cannot do something for themself and need someone(who has their head so far up their ass) to tell them how to do it... I am not saying that I have never read such a book... I have my stupidity phases too... We all do...

But this is my thought... have the courage to make those mistakes and then get up and say that "Ok. I will not do it again. I do not want to be this person." Until you do that sooner or later you will make that mistake... I am not saying that do not be a better person (again, whatever that is!!!)... but do it on your terms and not on someone elses... You have your own mind, why use someone else's to make your decisions and choices... think about it...

Until later...

Cheers,

D Quintessential Wasp

9 comments:

  1. even realization had difficulty in changing habitual routines..especially in times of difficulty.. as I'm sure you too have experienced. Such is the problem that affects even those who have made up their mind.
    I think self help books are like CAT coaching classes - though one doesn't really need them or follow them, its always nice to know what the others are doing to get to a similar goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If reading self improvement books are like masturbating then the genre should be the best selling books always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely put I'd say... I agree there are a load of fucking posers whose claim to fame is some jerk off book in which they claim to have stuff to enlighten the world and make it a better place...

    The masturbation link in the article kept the interest ;)
    How did u come up with the link... speak again maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excessive obsession with masturbation!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange analogy.. Like it though.. I'd like it if you could elaborate more on the idiocy of the self help books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once read a much vaunted self-help book, post which realisation struck that masturbation is better.


    Have a fight to pick though. Is'nt the M word about self-help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm....nice title....I felt the same way about self help books as well...though am not as angry as u r...Loved these lines - for me these were the best part of the post.... have the courage to make those mistakes and then get up and say that "Ok. I will not do it again. I do not want to be this person." .....lovely thought...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fight Club. The title. Chuck Palahniuk. The idea.

    ReplyDelete